Permanent Art Collection
The Kentucky Center houses a diverse array of 20th century works of art on permanent public display throughout the facility, featuring the works of world-renowned artists such as Alexander Calder, John Chamberlain, Jean Dubuffet, Louise Nevelson, Joan Miro, Malcolm Morley and Tony Smith. A number of local and regional artists’ works are also on display. Don’t wait for a performance to visit; enjoy the works anytime! The Gracehoper by Tony Smith is on loan from the Kentucky Center to the Waterfront Development Corporation. This thirteen ton, steel sculpture is located at the Overlook in Waterfront Park.
Acquisition of The Kentucky Center’s distinguished collection of contemporary artworks was guided by Mr. Wendell Cherry and made possible by generous donations.
Kentucky Center Backstage & Art Collection Tours
Tours of The Kentucky Center, including backstage and guided tours of The Kentucky Center’s distinguished collection of 20th Century artwork, are available to patrons and visitors.
- Facility Tours are an hour long and they include at least one backstage area and more if the building schedule allows. This guided tour also includes a general overview of some of the art on display in the Main Lobby. Seven people are required for a tour and the cost is $2 per person. All proceeds benefit the Kentucky Center’s Volunteer Program.
- Art Only Tours are an hour long and they include a detailed tour of the Center’s unique and significant collection of the 20th century contemporary art. There are 4 different tours:
- Children’s tour, narrated by children for children
- Adult tour (starting January, 2016)
- Adult tour for the visually impaired
- Guided art tour for all ages, $2 per person
- All art tours on iPods are self-directed and free to the public. Tours are available during daytime hours and selected evenings.
School group tours are available and all participants must be 8 years of age.
For additional information or questions please contact Lauren Metts at (502) 566-5241.
Kentucky Center Art Brochure