For three weeks every summer, over 200 of Kentucky’s most talented and creative high school students are invited to grow and learn together at the Governor’s School for the Arts’ college summer residence program. Rising juniors and seniors in high school are offered in-depth instruction in one of nine artistic disciplines: architecture + design, creative writing, dance, drama, instrumental music, musical theatre, new media, visual art, and vocal music. The honor of experiencing GSA includes:
- Attending the program for FREE (all students receive full tuition, room and board).
- Opportunities to learn in a supportive community of distinguished master-teachers.
- College preparation, career counseling, and the chance to meet college representatives during an exclusive GSA college fair.
- Arts-related community service opportunities.
- The excitement of performing/exhibiting at the Student Festival at the conclusion of the program.
- Serious fun!
Students are immersed in a rigorous schedule of daily seminars, master classes, lectures, hands-on workshops and field trips. While each student specializes in one art form, all students participate in structured, interdisciplinary arts experiences designed to familiarize them with the joys and challenges of specialties other than their own. Upon completion of the summer program, students become part of the ever-growing GSA alumni network, gaining a variety of opportunities such as scholarships and funding through the Toyota Alumni Fund.