DIGITAL SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
3 videos total, video must be .MP4
Please position your camera at an angle so that your hands are visible at all times.
Students applying for Percussion must submit submit materials on both a keyboard percussion instrument (marimba, xylophone, vibraphone) and a non-keyboard instrument (snare drum, timpani, multiple percussion or drum set). As such, the Percussion video will be longer than other Instrumental Music videos. Please see details below.
Scales (for keyboard instrument) (1 minute, 30 seconds)
All applicants will play
- all 7 required major scales in this order: C, F, Bb, Eb, G, D, A
- both ascending and descending
- by memory
- at the same minimum tempo of 120 bpm to the quarter note (faster tempos are permissible, but only if ALL scales are played at the faster tempo)
- scales in a minimum of 2 octaves, with the option to play in additional octaves
Rudiments or Drum Set Styles (for non-keyboard instrument)
Snare Drum & Multiple Percussion
Play 15 seconds of each of the following rudiments:
- flams with alternating hands from slow to fast to slow
- drags with alternating hands from slow to fast to slow
- single paradiddles with alternating hands
- double paradiddles with alternating hands
- multiple bounce/buzz (symphonic style) rolls from softest to loudest to softest
- double stroke (rudiment style) rolls from softest to loudest to softest
Play 15 seconds of
- single stroke rolls (fp crescendo) on both high and low drum
Play 15 seconds of each of the following styles (1 minute, 30 seconds):
- bossa nova
Personal Solo (3 - 5 minutes per solo, one solo for keyboard & one for non-keyboard instrument)
All applicants will select and play a solo of their choice.
Personal Question (90 seconds)
Please provide in video form the answer to the following question:
Tell us something significant that has happened in your life and shaped who you are as a person.